Friday, July 8, 2011

full circle


I had the privilege of meeting today with a former student, Rahiel Tesfamariam, whom I taught in Stanford's Writing and Critical Thinking program back in 1999. While we've kept in touch via various social networking mediums over the years, I hadn't imagined the parallel paths our lives would take. I remember her as a student: as passionate about writing as about the life she reflected through her poetry and journalism. Some 12 years later, we reconnected, both being in DC this summer, and having discovered that she was using Social Media to engage a variety of Social Justice issues.

I am currently teaching a Social Justice/Activism course in DC this summer through the Washington National Cathedral Scholars program-- a school that recruits among DC public school's best and brightest. Among the schools represented is the high school Rahiel attended in DC: Benjamin Banneker. After a response to her birthday wish for me on Wednesday, I proposed that she come speak to my students about her experiences as an activist, community organizer, blogger, minister, educator, etc... She enthusiastically accepted the invitation to speak to my seniors who are creating blogs as a medium to explore the intersection of Social Justice and I.T./Social Networking.

Introducing www.urbancusp.com to me, I became more astounded and honored by all she has accomplished. It was no doubt an affirmation of my early influence on Rahiel as a young teacher and graduate student-- vulnerable and dynamic in my approaches to teaching. I'm happy that my course enabled what continues to be a empowering career as a Renaissance woman, an urban griot, and Spiritual leader.

I remember 1999. I think she vaguely remembers it also. She somehow cleared the blurry haze that period had become: me on the cusp of preparing to die while finding ways to relay whatever legacy I'd leave behind at 27 years of age. Twelve years later, if felt great to give her a copy of the book I wrote, Red Dirt Revival, as the testimony that would encourage triumph over the shame and confusion associated with that time in my life. Here and healthy going on 13 years later, I was able to also share the music I'm doing also. Rahiel loves Hip Hop and remembers my performances at Stanford's COHO during her tenure there. Because she is a Christian woman speaking with a stridently post-theological non-religious, spiritual man, we had an opportunity to discuss grown-folk topics I would have felt uncomfortable broaching at the time-- perhaps spurred by her witnessing a heavy conversation with a friend whose valuation of me was, at best, self-absorbed... and surely hurtful.

We talked dating, Hip-Hop culture, God. I love talking about God... and especially Jesus, so we started our day with an inspiring breakfast that offered contexts to the relationship between our educating and activism and our spiritual paths. After her wonderfully exciting presentation to my seniors, we had a chance to talk a bit more. I applauded the vulnerability that she relays in her writing and work-- an observation made by a male student as the site's most alluring quality; and something about which Rahiel has some anxiety-- being such a strong, independent, woman in control. I told her that this period of transition for me-- from Houston to Chicago...then to DC to teach (which I am loving)...to return to Chicago for a hopeful continuation of teaching, writing, performing... reminded me of the cusp she so eloquently embraces: Eritrean and Black-American, Christian and Hip Hop, Street-savvy and Ivy League. It's the postmodern m.o. that suggests it's perfectly fine to be both/and, rather than limit our selves to the grasps of those who'd prefer to restrict our selves to either/or. We also talked about how her pastor and spiritual leader is a college friend and discovered all sorts of other re-connections. I just hope "Fly Brotha" gets a review on her site. LOL. I'd love to think what Hip-Hop loving progressive Christians think about it. The album reflects my deepest passions and most fearless zeal for the better life I want for myself and the communities from which i come...which is the entire world, as i see it.

Sometimes those we teach touch us in ways that are revealed years later. Rahiel is an amazingly, beautiful, powerful sistah who I continue to teach and learn from. Today, she was able to be there for me: to enhance my pedagogical vision for students I'm teaching... and for me personally as I continue to grapple being on the cusp of questions about spirituality, sexuality, friendship. parenting, love, and, and, and...

Love you Rahiel. And very proud of you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment