Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Why I'm with Teach For America





Geographically, I come from a space between the crude reality of homelessness and dreaming. Among my earliest memories is the move from my birthplace of Cincinnati to Dallas, TX. There was the shifting from project to project until home held little meaning beyond the walk between one site of eviction and the next. Rigging furnaces for winter heat, the kind of shame that carries the stench of poverty on your clothes, and mom’s tightening countenance before pulling out food stamps in front of judgmental eyes, marked my early childhood. I knew the world wasn’t fair.

In my first year of school in Little Rock, Arkansas, I went to 3 or 4 different kindergartens. I was afraid to make friends, if unafraid to fight. I stuttered. I fought as much as I stuttered: soft heart, hard knuckles. I was great at boxing, but enjoyed reading books more. My dad praised the former and said the latter was for “sissies”. Born Timothy, my mother, not college-educated but smart, knew that getting me to buy the sticks-and-stones lie would buy enough time to build resilience for its failure. Don’t sweat the mocking: Tim and M, then Tim’m. It was okay. I learned that words did hurt: the “n” word, the “f” word. One I heard in elementary school in the “gifted and talented” classes from white kids, distanced from peers who looked like me. The adjective “smart” said alongside the “n” word, didn’t soften its sting. The “f” word I heard at home from a touch and go dad whose hypermasculine militarism and religiosity defined the order of things. Geographically I come from a place at the intersection of survival and unsafe spaces. Home was as volatile as the houses in which we lived.

My community was defined by intense poverty. I made the newspaper as a kid: front page of Arkansas Gazette or Democrat for my dad’s fuss about the dilapidated home in which we lived. Thinking back, he probably wouldn’t have made the rent anyway. For all their learning-as-they-go parenting, my folks did value their kids getting a good education. My mother always checked our homework and would threaten to call the school or teacher if we reported not having any. These simple gestures, years later, made a difference in my own value for education. A mama’s boy, I never wanted to disappoint her. I come from a community of black boys where if you were smart, you’d better hide your report card, or get jumped. White people were smart. Black boys were cool. It wasn’t cool to be smart. I mitigated the aftermath of smarts by developing a stout athleticism and cosmopolitan cool. When I graduated salutatorian from High School or got into Ivys or West Point, it was a bit of a surprise for some of my peers. My friends who had fewer options available to them were especially proud of me. They made me promise to write books and talk about them. I have.

I came out to myself in college, and with uncertainty about what I could do professionally that wouldn’t force me to go back in the closet. I was a strong gay Black Student Alliance president, praised for my leadership, but pretty much banned from black frats. It was the first time in my life I’d faced crude rejection from black men and made to feel less than a man for my attraction to men. I avoided the suicidal ideation I experienced as a high school teen by connecting to whoever would accept me as is: some where white, some were women, some were even straight men who dared to challenge the norms by being my friends and allies. I learned there that there are safe spaces in the world. They happen when you are brave enough to share the real ugly stuff, and open yourself to the beautiful people who gravitate to it.

I come to this work with 25 years of activism in LGBTQ communities, and about 15 years of teaching.  I taught as an OUT black gay man, without any template for how to navigate naysayers and haters, because I was gifted at teaching. There was nothing I wanted to do more. I also believe that life on the margin of the margins centered my empathy, my compassion, my drive for making life better to those I taught. Of the hundreds of youth and young adults I have taught, they all knew they were loved. That understanding enabled my efficacy and made them eager to never disappoint. I suppose I got that honest. Love is such an amazing motivator for excellence.

I believe that we rob society of some of its best, most courageous and brilliant teachers when we suggest that LGBTQ educators are fine, just as long as they don’t talk about it and just do their job. I’m most challenged by this norm because of what we are teaching our kids in the process: that dignity is a privilege for some, and shame, the default especially for those at the intersection of poverty and queer identities. We do our students a disservice if we perpetuate the notion that not having a strong and positive sense of identity has no bearing on the kind of future one can have. I’d like to think that educators cultivate, not just healthy minds, but healthy spirits. I joined this movement because I almost didn’t make it. Mouth full and choking on aspirin at 16: a lame overdose that was not as strong as my body’s rejection. I didn’t really want to die. I wanted to be accepted for something I could not change, after fasts and prayers, self-badgering, and compulsory experiments with heterosexuality.

I joined this movement because I almost didn’t teach: feeling that being exposed as a “gay” teacher would land me in jail or vilified. Unfortunately, even in 2014, many who feel called to teach worry about the same thing. I joined this movement because there’s someone who will have a positive impact on lots of kids’ lives and who deserves an opportunity to make it too. I’m happy that Teach For America sees value in having an Initiative that truly says all our low-income students deserve better. Yes, even the “gay” ones.

9 comments:

  1. The internet is funny...I wrote a long missive to you, and then realized I had to sign in to Google. Could the Internet possibly be our best filter, our new, "you'd better not say that?" (laugh) Anyway, to boil down what I really wanted to say was, I'm proud of you, man. You're exactly where you should be; how does THAT feel? Enjoy it-it's why there are flowers and rainbows. I love you, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the affirmation, Mignon. You are one of those people who emerged along my journey who truly enabled the freedom to be and believe who I feel I'm called to be...yes, flowers and rainbows and bears and all. Love you too.

      Delete
  2. Tim,

    Thank you for this post! You and I have shared in several of the same struggles - and you have endured many that I have not faced. Even so, your post really hits home for me. I am currently a first-year teacher in a Teach For America-esque program. I feel completely at home teaching and I love my students, but I do feel a daily fear that my personal life may become known and that my job may become someone else's.

    Your post was really inspiring to me, and it made me feel a little bit less alone in my struggles. I really appreciate you! You sound like a phenomenal man and teacher.

    --Mr. S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mr. S.

      Thanks for sharing your comment. I could share a great deal more about my experience as a teacher (sometimes OUT, other times not) but surely feel like the quality of my teaching and related confidence were improved when I didn't have to mitigate fear of my sexual orientation being seen as a threat or barrier to being an excellent teacher. In my current work I'm directing a National Conversation series at the intersection of Educational Equity and LGBTQ organizing and perhaps one of these conversations will happen near you. Feel free to reach out to me at: t.west@teachforamerica.org to find out more. I wish you the best with your teaching. Please know you are hardly alone and have support.

      Delete
    2. Tim'm,

      I got your message and immediately came to check your response. I really appreciate what you are saying and what you are doing for our community.

      I agree with what you are saying about the fear negatively affecting your performance as a teacher. I am definitely feeling that in my own life. I do think that I am a teacher who fosters positive relationships with my students, and thus I can teach them content in a meaningful way. However, I spend too much time worrying about what I might say, or what may happen if a teacher looks into me too much. I could easily be removed form my position because of sexual orientation - which should be seen as wholly irrelevant to my profession.

      Anyway, thank you for telling me that I am not alone. It is a great thing to hear. I know that I'm not alone, but I do often feel isolated in the deep, hospitable, hate-filled south where I live.

      Thank you for everything you do for our community and for students who need people like you!

      Delete
  3. Hello Mr. West.

    I must admit that I am profoundly impressed by your biography published here, as well as the demeanor you projected at our first contact and encounter during Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta. I am further- humbled the vision you have brought with you to Teach America.

    Though I have very little insight about Teach America, I experienced a torrent of hostile perceptions from various individual when I was employed as a teacher...most of it was indirect insults thrown by the stereotypical homophobic. Nonetheless, and possibly to my detriment , I have always deemed it wise to separate my professional obligations as a teacher from my sexual orientation without ... a sense of doubt. Mainly because I believe that there exist a " volatile element " which can sweep in , especially when comes to troubled youth or " queers" who reside at the cross road you spoke on; I hope you don't misinterpret my tone, but there are some places they say even the angles don't go. I am personally, more comfortable when I am not drawn into scenarios that can distract me from my goal. On and off, I have been called upon, as a role model for aspiring young gay artist who are seeking entrepreneurial encouragement or searching for outlets that will embrace their talents. Can provide me with any Do's and Dont's.

    Micheal Anderson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michael,

      Sorry for just now getting back to you. You raise some interesting points and concerns. Truth is, there's no one size fits all solutions given how different states, regions, school districts, school leadership deal (or not) with this issue. I've been careful not to propose that all teachers even need to be out in the classroom, while advocating for spaces where they aren't penalized if they do. The circumstances surrounding ones decision to disclose or not can be so varied. Ultimately, I encourage all educators to be the best educator possible. There are also ways to encourage safe and brave spaces for kids without disclosing anything about yourself. Surely, if you believe disclosing would distract the educational process of your students, then by all means refrain. In my case, my student's awareness of my orientation was no more distracting than knowing that Mrs. so and so was married with children; and perhaps, in part, because it was presented in casual response to an inquiry. I've noted before that being OUT as a teacher, for me, enabled more trust and respect for me as a teacher by my students, and I realize that some of this is tied to my masculine and passing privilege as a cis-gender male. Great questions, and I wish you the best in your pursuit. You an always feel free to email me at tim.apostrophe.m@gmail.com if you have more direct questions.

      Delete
  4. Mr. West,
    Professionally speaking: I understand the pro's an con's of "coming out" or "being out" . As an educator I would rather be like the Black Men who dragged me down that narrow path that lead me to the runway. I think in some sense; one shoe always fits. Glad touched in on trust. What is your opinion of an HIV educator who smokes weed and promotes thus to teens? See I believe in coming to class clean and doing my Job...that's all. Am I wrong ? Cause errrrry- time I don't follow suit with all these new words y'all come up with I get put to side...or asked to come to the office. It would not be fair for to email you privately ... unless it is referencing a specific incident, that has caused me to " trouble" with your trusting. Nonetheless... I wish you much success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Tim'm.

    For the past 10 years I have proud myself as being a resilient advocate for HIV education and prevention. For the most part, I feel my presence as a healthy, black, educated gay male serves as my most valuable weapon... in this seemingly " done deal uphill battle". I have raised my own money through private sponsors to create a multi- media strategy called " Smoke and Controversy ", that relies on a " NO NONSENSE " premise towards my audience ( those who are highest risk ), whilst this mentality of black gay leadership surrounding me seems to keep attempting to exhume it's " dead body" with complaints about: lack of funding, homophobia , stigma and other external factors. As a black gay educator with an advanced degree in both Adult Education and Public Policy, I am often reluctant to ponce on all the exteriors that negatively impact LGBTQ youth and ignore my own infrastructure...as I find so many who rise to the call of gay leadership are pleased to do. When you see Black Gay HIV Educators asking the the government to fund jobs for them to educate young black gays and then they go home and make, bareback movies for Xtube. In fact I no longer get the sense that the Black Gay Leadership is involved in the quest to eliminate HIV. And having come to that conclusion, I believe that the only way for me to be effective... I have to practice ...what I preach. Check out my niece
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Mk8XVsJRE

    ReplyDelete